This vegan chickpea & pineapple curry is perfect if you're on a budget. An awesome combination of sweet and savory flavors!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tin (485g or 260g drained weight ) pineapple rings or pieces, saving 80ml of pineapple juice
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 80g frozen peas
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 100ml coconut milk
1. Heat the oil in a medium sized non-stick saucepan. Add in the onion and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, before adding the spices and frying everything together until the onion is nice and soft and browning with the spices.
2. Drain the pineapple from the tin, retaining 80ml of juice. If you have rings, chop them into pieces.
3. Tip the pineapple, chickpeas and peas into the pan and stir. Add the salt.
4. Cook everything together for 5 minutes, before pouring in the pineapple juice and coconut milk. Stir again, bring to a high heat briefly, and then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes, with a lid tilted over the top of the pan.
5. Add more seasoning, a sprinkling of stock powder or chilli powder if desired.
6. Serve with basmati rice or chapati, plant-based yoghurt and lime pickle (optional). You can also top with fresh coriander if you like.